Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Am I missing something?

This morning on the drive in to work, I heard a story about Brian Dunkleman.  Anyone know who that is?  In the very first season of American Idol, Brian Dunkleman was the co-host along with Ryan Seacrest.  We ALL know who Ryan Seacrest is.  Now, I don't watch American Idol because it just isn't my thing but I was surprised to hear that originally there were two hosts.  Immediately, I imagined this story would have a dark and sinister end with Ryan Seacrest double crossing his co-host by trash talking him and getting him fired.  The truth is much more disturbing.  Of his own free will, Brian Dunkleman quit the show at the end of the first season because he believed the show had no future and he would be better off pursuing other options.

Wow. Jaw-dropping WOW.

Obviously the show went on to be a huge success making the host and judges household names and earning them millions of dollars along the way.  I can only wonder what Brian Dunkleman is doing now.

This story really made me think.  For the rest of the drive I pondered how Brian Dunkleman must feel.  I know first hand how it feels to realize a chance slipped right by you and that you chose wrong.  I don't think any of my choices have cost me fame and fortune on the American Idol level, but how many of them maybe delayed me from getting to the life I want?  We make a million tiny decisions every day - what time to get out of bed, what to wear, should I have a white mocha or a caramel machiato today, etc.  Most of these probably make little difference in who we become at the end of the day.  But I wonder, how many decisions do we make each day that could shape us into different people or inch us that much closer to the goal line?  I am not one to believe in regrets.  However,  I do want to be aware of the choices I'm making and take full advantage of any opportunities to come my way.  This short 30-second blurb on the radio today was a great reminder.  Here's to having a great day and recognizing opportunities as they come our way!

No comments:

Post a Comment